Dart is among the most entertaining and fun games you can enjoy with your friends. However, there are different factors that will determine your success in this game.
The first step will be ensuring that you totally understand how to play the game. You also need to be aware of all the rules before you start.
After that, you will need to choose the best type of dart that will give you the kind of results you would want to achieve. There are different types of darts which means that you need to understand how each of them works before you choose the best.
To make your work easier, we have compiled a detailed guide on soft tip vs steel tip darts. These darts are the most popular and the best on the market. Read on to know their differences.
Soft Tip vs Steel Tip Darts- What are their differences?
Soft Tip Darts – What Are Their Features?
The soft tip darts are usually made from plastic or nylon. Below are some of their advantages and disadvantages.
- Lightweight – One of the major benefits of soft tip darts is their lightweight design, which makes them easy to use. This means that if you are a beginner, soft darts are the best because they allow you to hit your targets more easily as compared to when you are using steel tip darts.
- Safety– Accidents are likely to occur if the dart bounces off the dartboard and hits someone. In terms of safety, soft tip darts are the best because they are not very sharp. As a result, they are suitable for those who play darts around pets or kids. They are also ideal for kids who play darts. Apart from that, they do not damage your wall or the surroundings when they bounce off the board.
- Compatible with Electric Boards– As compared to other dartboards, electronic dartboards are the most popular today. The good thing about these boards is that they are able to tally up the scores for you and they know exactly where you have hit on the board. What you need to know is that you cannot use steel tip darts on electronic boards such as the WIN, MAX Electronic Dart Board Soft Tip Dartboard Set LCD Display and instead, you should use soft tip darts.
- Difficult to Use– If you want to use soft tip darts, you need to ensure that your dartboard is electronic. Otherwise, the traditional bristle boards are not the best because they will cause the darts to bounce off. As a result, recording your scores accurately may not be easy. Again, you will need some time to learn how to enhance your accuracy when using soft tipped darts. Due to their lightweight design, locating the center of gravity may also be difficult.
- Prone to Breaking– Unlike the steel tipped darts, these ones are made of plastic which means that they are more prone to bending or breaking. Due to their lightweight nature, they are not resistant to strong winds which means that they can easily be blown away.
- Not Durable– The other major disadvantage of soft tip darts is that they wear out easily. Due to this, they are a bit cheap but you may need to replace them frequently over the years. In terms of quality, WIN, MAX Darts Plastic Tip, Soft Tip Darts SET 12 Pcs 18 Gram are among the best.
- High Bounce Outs– As compared to the steel tip darts, soft tip darts are more prone to bounce out due to their lightweight design. As a result, they do not stick to the board consistently which can prevent you from recording the scores.
Steel Tip Darts- What Makes Them Unique?
Steel tip darts are the best for playing professional dart games. Just like their name suggests, these darts have a metallic or a steel tip and they are usually used on bristle boards. They have a sharp tip which enables them to piece through the board easily.
Due to their quality, they have widely been used in professional tournaments such as the WPD championship and the PDC World Darts Championship.
- Long-Lasting– One of the major selling points of steel tip darts is that they are more durable as compared to the soft tip dart due to the metallic tip. Due to their sturdy construction, they do not bend or break easily. However, you need to be careful because even steel tip darts are prone to breaking if you do not use them properly. In case you are searching for quality steel tip darts, IgnatGames Steel Tip Dart Set-Professional Darts with Aluminum Shafts, Rubber O’Rings will give you the best value for your money.
- Accurate– As compared to the soft tip darts, these ones are a bit heavy. Due to this, they provide a more accurate throw than the soft tip darts and this is among the reasons why they are the best for serious dart games. They are also resistant to a breeze or strong winds.
- Low Bounce– The other thing you need to know about steel tip darts is that due to their heavy weight, you do not need to worry about the dart bouncing out. They are also sharp which enables them to penetrate easily through the dartboard. This also minimizes chances of bouncing out.
- Heavy– As compared to other types of darts, steel tip darts are the heaviest. The weight of their tip varies from 20-30 grams. Due to their heavy weight, they may not be the best for starters unless you are practicing to become a professional.
- Dangerous– When it comes to safety, these darts are not the best especially for kids because they are extremely sharp. Again, they cause damages to the wall of the floor which is another reason most people do not like them.
Which Type Should I Choose?
As we have already discussed, the soft tip and steel tip darts are very different. This means that you need to know how each works before you choose the best. In terms of durability, steel tip darts are the best because they have a metallic tip. They are also heavier than the soft tip darts but the good thing about their weight is that they are more accurate. Apart from that, they have a low bounce out and are not affected by strong winds.
In case you are searching for affordable darts, soft tip darts are very cheap. However, they are less durable which means that you need to replace them regularly. You will also find that they are very safe because of the soft tip. Due to this, they are the best for kids who love playing darts. Another benefit of soft tip darts is that they do not damage your walls or the floor when they fall off.
In case you are searching for quality darts you can use for professional or serious dart games, steel tip darts are the best. On the other hand, soft tip darts are the best for beginners.
If you are new to the dart game, choosing between the soft tip and steel tip darts may be a bit difficult because they have different features. However, we hope that after reading this article, you know the type of darts that will give you awesome results. That is not enough because you will also need to know that there are different varieties of soft tip and steel tip darts on the market. This means that you need to be careful when choosing the best. Before you make your choice, you need to examine the features keenly to ensure that you will get the best value for your money when buying.